We may be biased, but we’re convinced that there is no better place to be this winter than a city break to London: from ice skating and carol services to some of the world’s best Christmas shopping, there is something to put everyone in a festive mood.
And, this year there is yet another reason to get in the holiday spirit – the pound/euro exchange rate, which falls firmly in their favour! But if the currency climate isn’t enough of an incentive to start planning a Christmas trip to Blighty, here are a few of our top picks for the Yuletide season:
1) For those with small children, make sure to visit Santa at his grotto in Harrod’s. Not only will it make their trip, there is also plenty at this world-famous department store for adults too.
2) Make Christmas shopping easy at the Selfridges’ Christmas department, where you are guaranteed to find something for even the pickiest of your loved ones. And the decorations are pretty spectacular too!
3) A highlight of the London Christmas calendar, this year’s Chiltern Street Christmas Shopping Event is being held on 23 November from 5pm-9pm. In addition to the various special promotions taking place in Chiltern Street’s many boutiques, the Chiltern Firehouse (arguably London’s hottest restaurant) will also be offering shoppers delicious treats from its terrace, created by its famed chef, Nuno Mendes. In fact, why not spoil yourself and book a room at the Firehouse too for a taste of the A-list life?
4) There is certainly no shortage of Christmas markets during December, but none can really hold a candle to Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park – if you can handle the hordes of children, that is! Whether you choose to take in London’s Christmas lights from the giant observation wheel, catch a performance of The Nutcracker on Ice or be amazed at the Christmas Circus, you’ll be hard pressed not to catch Christmas fever.
5) This year Somerset House’s famous courtyard will once again be transformed into the Fortnum & Mason ice rink – now a firm winter staple in the capital. Stop by the Alpine-themed Fortnum's Lodge after you have taken a spin on the ice to refresh yourself with a warming beverage. And for those who want to keep their feet on firm ground, the real Fortnum & Mason is just around the corner for all those last-minute stocking-fillers.
6) For those who are more interested in all that Mother Nature has to offer, Christmas at Kew at can’t be beaten. This year features a new mile-long trail through the famous botanic gardens at Kew, lit up with more than 60,000 lights.
7) For those in a party mood, make sure you head down to Bodo’s Schloss to really let loose this Christmas season. Themed as an Alpine ski lodge, this exclusive restaurant, bar and disco is best suited to the winter months!
The list could go on and on – and this is not to mention the top shows, Michelin star eateries and world class art that are available to enjoy all year round. With today’s currency climate being what it is, there has never been a better time to visit from Europe – and with Air Partner’s private jet charter, there has never been a better way to travel.
From booking accommodation and limousines to sourcing tickets to London’s biggest attractions, the Air Partner Concierge Service will ensure that your time on the ground is as enjoyable as your time in the air.